Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Discussing the Internet with People Who Don't Understand What the Internet Is.

This is a conversation from a meeting I had at my office today. Background: We were discussing a redesign of our organization's website. The other person in this meeting is not a 'dumb' person. But this was not her shining moment.

And because of that, I've chosen to call this other person "Candi" --- with an 'i'.


Candi: Can everyone see that website?
Me: Of course, I found it by doing a Google search.
Candi: But… I thought just you and I could see this site. Is this site live?
Me: Yes, it has been live for months.
Candi: But the site is not correct.
Me: No, it’s not.  This is why we’ve been trying to have this meeting for the last three months.
Candi: But I only thought that we could see the site.
Me: How did you see the site when you were in your office?
Candi: I googled it.
Me: *purses lips*
Candi: Where’s the old site?
Me: It doesn’t exist anymore. It was replaced with the new site.
Candi: It must exist.  Where do you keep it? Perhaps in your filing cabinet?
Me: It does not exist in my filing cabinet or within the files on my computer. It’s gone.
Candi: Where do websites go when you take them down?
Me: Nowhere. Either the website gets pulled down because you stop paying for it, or in this case, you replace it with a new site.
Candi: But the old website must still exist.
Me: It doesn’t.
Candi: But it did exist.
Me: It did. And now it does not.
Candi: But it used to be an actual website.
Me: It was a website, not a dead person. The old site doesn’t exist. There is no cemetery of dead sites.
Candi: *continues to look confused*
Me: *still silent*
Candi: Are you sure the website’s not out there somewhere, like a ghost website.
Me: I hate to inform you, but there is no internet heaven. There are no website ghosts.
Candi: But…
Me: No.
Candi: ehh…
Me: No.
Me: Just. No.


------------------------

It's days like this I wish I didn't have to interact with people at all. 


No comments: